by Richard L. Thornton, Architect & City Planner
From a Canadian reference book . . .
Alternate names for the Huron Indians
When Champlain first reported of them in 1615, they had 30,000 people. By 1640, they were reduced through disease, famine, and warfare to just twelve to fifteen thousand.
Nomenclature: Their autonym was ‘Wendat’, but the French primarily called them ‘Huron’ or ‘Huron les bon Iroquois’. Champlain first referred to them as the ‘Ochateguin’, then later as the ‘Charioquois’ (‘Charioquet’, ‘Charakay’), and also as the ‘Allegonantes’.